Four people one sandwich per person; adjust recipe accordingly for more
1 bag of mock "meatballs" (such as Nate's, Smart Deli or Gardenburger--see
Food Brand Recommendations)
1 jar pasta sauce
1 ounce of mozzerella cheese per sandwich (or more if desired)
Hoagie Rolls (1 per sandwich)
1. Preheat oven according to meatball package directions.
2. Prepare meatballs according to package directions. (This may mean microwaving,
oven baking, or pan frying depending on preference and product.)
3. Slice rolls so that bottom half has a "well" or top half is
4. Place 2-3 slices of cheese across bottom half of each roll.
5. Place both halves of rolls in oven just until cheese melts (be sure not
6. Heat up pasta sauce in small- or medium-sized saucepan. Keep sauce warm.
7. Place meatballs in hollowed-out bottom of each roll and cover with sauce.
7. Add optional veggies or other toppings.
That's it! Enjoy!
The following may also be added
1. Other cheeses may be used
2. Sauté onions, mushrooms, peppers, and/or olives for an authentic
3. Instead of meatballs, try one of the alternative "steak" products
for another take on the "Philly Cheese Steak."
4. These sandwiches are good with a side of french fries. Make your own,
or see Food Brand Recommendations.
5. Also see Sweet Potato Fries
recipe for another good side dish.
Note: Because it's healthier for the environment
as well as for people, we use only organically produced cheeses (Organic
Valley and Horizon are two national brands; check for your own local brands),
organically grown produce, and packaged products with organically grown
ingredients. See Food Brand Recommendations for brand suggestions.