As many people as you wish--one large or 2 small-to-medium potatoes per
One large (or two small/medium) potato per person
Organic sour cream or cottage cheese (try Organic Valley, Horizon Organic
1 pound firm tofu or veg sausage, diced (per two people)
2-4 kinds of assorted vegetables, chopped fine to medium (broccoli, zucchini,
greens, carrots, onion/leek)
(amount to taste--I'd use one zucchini, 1/2 onion or leek, one large carrot,
handful of kale and 1/2 cup broccoli per 2 people)
6 ounces grated mozzarella (Organic Valley, Horizon Organic, etc.) per
1-2 T olive or almond oil
Black pepper, garlic powder, and salt to taste
Other fresh herbs depending on variation (see below), chopped or whole leaf
1. Bake potatoes (or microwave). Set aside, but don't open yet. (If this
part takes an hour, go read a book in the hammock!)
2. On medium heat in nonstick pan, sautée the tofu with vegetables
in 1-2 T olive or almond oil and spices, until the soy product is browned
and the veggies are somewhat softened, but still slightly crisp (unless
you prefer soggy!)
3. Split open potatoes and mash (smash!) down to fill plate. Mash in sour
cream to taste.
4. Cover potatoes with thin slices of cheese or thin layer of grated cheese.
4. Top with a few ladlefuls of hot veggie sauté mixture. Smash in
That's it! A warm, filling, flavorful meal awaits!
I favor dishes that can be varied every time, and this is no exception.
1. Substitute crumbled vegetarian Italian sausage instead of the tofu in
your veggie sauté.
2. If you prefer neither tofu nor sausage, sautée veggies only and
just use cheese(s) for your protein.
3. Use one kind of cheese--mozzarella or cheddar or jack--OR combine several
for a taste sensation!
4. Use cottage cheese and/or parmesan as well, whether you're using the
tofu/sausage or not. Mash the cottage cheese into potatoes first, then top
with veggie or veggie/soy mixture.
5. Black beans, cheese, salsa, fresh tomatoes, corn, red cabbage, green
onion and cilantro on a "smashed" potato is smashing as well--PotatOH!
AcapulcOH! Colorful, too!
6. Likewise, your favorite pasta sauce, mozzarella and parmesan, and fresh
whole-leaf basil makes a fast and fantastic PotatOH ItalianOH!
7. In summer I like to serve these quick and easy potato meals with a large
fresh mixed-green salad on the side!
Note: Because it's healthier for the environment
as well as for people, we use only organically produced cheeses (Organic
Valley and Horizon are two national brands; check for your own local brands),
organically grown produce, and packaged products with organically grown
ingredients. See Food Brand Recommendations for brand suggestions.